Sunday, December 18, 2005

Changing My Prediction



Went to see my last theatrical production of 2005 (unless you count the W&M Christmas Party this coming Wednesday) at the Ahmanson Theater -- "The Drowsy Chaperone."

Earlier this year I saw "Palm Beach" at the La Jolla Playhouse and predicted it would win the 2006 Tony for Best New Musical. I've changed my mind. I now think "The Drowsy Chaperone" is going to win it.

This musical, which comes out of Canada, is so much fun! It's a valentine, really, to the American Musical Theater. It's set in the dingy apartment of a befuddled man who offers to play the cast recording of one of his all-time favorite musicals, "The Drowsy Chaperone."

And there, in his apartment, this "lost" musical is performed. Throughout the performance the narrator offers his opinions and helps us understand what it going on. Sometimes he even finds himself in the middle of the performance.

Sutton Foster, who won a Tony for "Thoroughly Modern Millie," is the leading lady. And Georgia Engel (The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Everybody Loves Raymond) wonderfully plays the ditzy Mrs. Tottendale.

The music, lyrics and dancing are all great. If this show makes it to Broadway I know the Tony voters won't be able to resist it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: