Friday, December 16, 2005

Anti-Simiansexual



Call me a bigot if you will, but I just think it's wrong for a pretty, young woman to fall in love with a 25-foot ape. Even in Manhattan.

And Peter Jackson's 3-hour, slow motion, retelling of the King Kong tale didn't change my mind.

This is a movie by a director who is out of control -- and no one, apparently, was willing to tell him to cut back on the excesses.

I like to see dinosaur fighting as much as the next red-blooded American -- but do I need to see 45 minutes of it?

The special effects in the movie are amazing -- especially the CGI-created Kong. But my goodness, I could fly to Denver in less time.

I paid $14 to see the movie at the Cinerama Dome at the ArcLight Theater in Hollywood. (It's definitely a movie worth seeing on a giant screen with good sound.) But how much did it bug me to find a hole in the screen directly in front of me once the movie started? Skull Island is a little less frightening when you can't take your eyes off the hole in the screen.

And what's up with the filthy floor at the theater? It's to be expected at most movie theaters, but when you're paying a premium price you don't expect to have to climb through the trash of the last two screenings.

Celebrity Sightings: Spotted Wayne Knight, who played Newman on "Seinfeld," in the lobby after the movie. He recently co-starred in "Sweet Charity" on Broadway but left the show about a week before I went to see it.

Stephen Root, who played station owner Jimmy James on "News Radio", was seated in the front row of the theater in a group that included Wallace Langham, who was in "Veronica's Closet" and "The Larry Sanders Show." I guess Langham didn't like the movie too much since he and his wife left with thirty minutes to go (that's about two scenes with Jackson's pacing).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: