Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Oh My Gaudi!



Spent today on a major walkabout through Central Barcelona. I'm stunned by how beautiful and fascinating Barcelona is. I had to be careful not to walk around with my mouth hanging open.

It was cold today, but with a beautiful blue sky and lots of sunshine.

A lot of the time I was admiring the architecture of famed Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi. The photo above is of his Cathedral de Segrada Familia (Church of the Sacred Family). It remains under construction even though he left no plans for it's completion when he died.

I got a lot of sleep last night and finally feel like I've turned the corner on my jetlag. Now I just have to get used to Barcelona's hours.

At 1:30 this afternoon a restaurant caught my eye as a potential place for lunch. When I came back at 2:00 there was a line out the door of people waiting for a table. When I left at 3:30 a tiny line was still there.

Tonight at 9:00 p.m. I went for dinner at a restaurant that was about 1/3 full. Over the next hour it filled up and at 10:15 a group of 21 people showed up for dinner just like it was another Wednesday night.

I'd read that Bacelona was a late-to-eat kind of place, but I guess I had to see it for myself to believe it.

Tomorrow I'm off on a 45 minute train ride to the seaside town of Sitges for two nights -- then it's back to Barcelona for New Year's weekend.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: