Saturday, January 20, 2007

Wheeling and Dealing Patinkin-Style


Just arrived in Rio de Janeiro. It's appropriately hot and steamy. Above is the view of Ipanema Beach from the rooftop deck of my hotel, the Ipanema Plaza.

As soon as I boarded my first flight from LAX to Dulles a fellow traveler asked if I would change seats with him so he could sit next to his wife. He offered me a bulkhead seat. I said, "no," explaining I didn't want to sit in the bulkhead row. (I'd brought on a bunch of newspapers and magazines on board and needed a seat pocket in front of me to store them.) Next he offered me a window seat. I again said, "no," explaining I very much wanted an aisle seat. But I told him if he found a non-bulkhead, aisle seat I'd gladly move. He kept asking and finally convinced another passenger to participate in a three-way switch and I ended up in an acceptable seat and he got to sit next to his wife. I admired his determination to make the situation work. But I guess I'd expect nothing less from Broadway-legend Mandy Patinkin.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Enjoy Rio!

If you recall, it was seeing Kitty Carlisle Hart that first introduced me to your site. Mandy Pantinkin was at my performance as well as Cybill Shepherd. I got a photo of the trio at the event.

Ironically, on an earlier occasion, I once boarded a flight from Houston to LAX and found that Cybill Shepherd was in my first class seat so she could sit next to her significant other. No one even asked me if it was OK, but I demurely commented to her that I was guy who had helped her out.

How's that for full circle?