Thursday, January 18, 2007

Not Your Typical School Play


Tonight I went to see the new musical "13" at the Mark Taper Forum. It's about the trials and tribulations of being 13 with music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown.

It's a sweet show about that awkward time we all remember.

A NYC boy moves with his recently divorced mother to Appleton, Indiana and wants desperately to fit in. And most importantly he wants the "cool" kids to come to his upcoming Bar Mitzvah (of which there are not many in Appleton, Indiana).

One funny thing I noticed on the cafeteria menu board at Dan Quayle Junior High School (where the show is set) was "Baked Potatoe" was one lunch item. I don't think most of the audience caught the special "Dan Quayle" spelling.

What a talented cast! They're all 13 -- or in the neighborhood -- in real life. And can they sing and dance! Even the orchestra/band is made up of teenagers.

I went in expecting a real "Come on kids, let's put on a show" sort of an evening. But "13" is much, much more.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

As always, I enjoyed your take on a show I wish I could see myself. And I love the potatoe, too.