Sunday, April 30, 2006



After dinner GeezBob and I went to see "The Black Rider" at the Ahmanson Theater.

I missed this show when it ran in San Francisco in 2004 so I was excited about seeing it last night.

It's very avant garde -- somewhere between a play and a musical with a text by William S. Burroughs, music and lyrics by Tom Waits and direction, sets and lighting by Robert Wilson.

Visually stunning, it's an old German fable about an accountant who wants to marry a girl whose father wants her to marry a hunter. He makes a faustian deal with the Devil in exchange for bullets that always hit their target.

As the House Manager told me when we were chatting during intermission, the show "isn't to everyone's taste," but I liked it because it was so shockingly original. Posted by Picasa

No comments: