Monday, April 24, 2006



After the ballgame Sunday I caught up with GeezBob for dinner and then we went to an organ concert at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

John Scott played the Concert Hall's massive organ. Scott was long associated with St. Paul's Cathedral in London. In 2004 he moved to New York to become the Director of Music and Organist at St. Thomas Church on Fifth Avenue.

The acoustics in the Disney Concert Hall continue to impress for their perfection. From where I was sitting you could watch his fingers on the four keyboards and hear the distinct notes in the room. Of course, the most fun was watching him play the pedals. A couple of times he just rested his hands on the bench and played the music with his feet. Some of the pieces he performed included a low bass and you could feel the vibrations in your bones.

In the photo at the top of today's entry you'll notice a simple black chair next to the organ. That's for the guy who has the job of turning the pages on the music. With four keyboards and foot pedals, the organist can't be bothered.

But my Sunday wasn't done! From the concert I headed to LAX for a 10:30 p.m. flight to Sacramento for a meeting this morning. I was seated next to State Senator (and candidate for Secretary of State) Debra Bowen. We had a delightful chat on topics ranging from her campaign and the upcoming Democratic Convention, to how I got involved in initiative campaigns to which is more entertaining: college football or college basketball.

After my meeting today in Sacramento I learned I need to be in San Francisco for a meeting Tuesday morning. So instead of flying home I changed my travel plans and drove to San Francisco where I'm spending tonight.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: