Friday, May 06, 2005

Nor'Easter a Comin'



The first thing I did in Maine was visit the L.L. Bean store in Freeport. I always like going to the flagship of stores I like (the Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue in NYC, the Nordstrom's in downtown Seattle, the Neiman Marcus in downtown Dallas.)

I've purchased items every now and then from the L.L. Bean catalogue so it was really cool to visit the store. For the last several decades the store has been open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I think that's more to accommodate hunters and fishermen than someone like me who suddenly needs khaki chinos.

I didn't buy anything but it was fun wandering around. It's huge. And even though it's at the same location as the original store it's a very modern facility.

Tonight I saw the new movie "Crash" at a theater in downtown Portland. I don't want to make fun, but I knew I wasn't in Hollywood when the movie stopped in the middle and the pre-show commercials started up. But they fixed the problem soon enough.

"Crash" is an interesting movie about race, crime, justice, power and how we are all inter-connected. It seemed a little weird to go all the way across the country to see a movie set on the gritty streets of Los Angeles. Especially in a place as racially homogeneous as Portland, Maine. Even the teenagers on the street asking for money look like Ashton Kutcher.

I still have plans to visit Acadia National Park, Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. But the newscasters are all up in arms about the Nor'Easter storm that will dump two to three inches on rain on Portland tomorrow. I've learned not to believe the weather hype on the news in L.A. (although this year it was pretty accurate) but I give the forecasters more credibility here.

Fortunately, I talked Hertz into upgrading me to a large SUV -- so I won't have to be a shut-in. I can always go back to L.L. Bean for some boots if I need them.
Posted by Hello

No comments: