Thursday, May 05, 2005

Crossing the Finish Line



Made it to my 50th state today -- Maine. I'm spending the weekend in Portland. My hotel, -- deep breath -- the Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, is in the "Old Port" part of downtown. That's the view out my window of the Passenger Ferry Terminal. (Looking out the window I didn't see the fuel tanks across the water.)

I walked around for a little while tonight. Lots of pubs and taverns in the immediate neighborhood. It looks like Cinco de Mayo is an excuse to go out and get drunk in these parts. But I think these establishments are equally busy on Quatro de Mayo and Seis de Mayo too.

My two flights here were uneventful. I changed planes at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. In the United Terminal they have a new "Billy Goat Tavern" stand. That's the place in downtown Chicago made famous by John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd's "cheeseburgie, cheeseburgie, cheeseburgie" skit. Well, I had fries despite "no fries, chips" and a Diet Coke even though the line was "No Coke, Pepsi." I can see how the food would be good at 3 a.m. if you were drunk. But it was 1 p.m. and I was stone cold sober. But a little nostalgia at the airport never hurt anybody.
Posted by Hello

No comments: