Monday, February 28, 2005

Congrats on the Oscar, Bosshh

Random thoughts on last night's Oscars:

  • I would have given anything to have overhead the conversation in the limo ride home between Annette Bening and Warren Beatty. I doubt they discussed the finer points of Hilary Swank's acting abilities.

  • Chris Rock was a dud. His Opening Monologue was rude. Who is he to make fun of Jude Law or Nicole Kidman? (Although Sean Penn came off looking even worse, as usual.) The only funny bit he had was his interviews at the Magic Johnson Theater. I liked it when the lady told him to back off.

  • The show really missed Bruce Vilanch's comedy writing. He's been doing it since 1989 (having been brought on-board by Alan Carr.) B.V. has a recognizable patter to his jokes. Set-up, set-up, joke, laugh, pause, repeat. Since he's busy performing in Hairspray on Broadway we were abandoned -- and the show paid for his absence.

  • I'm really glad "Million Dollar Baby" won for Best Picture -- mostly because I wanted "The Aviator" to lose.

  • How in the world did Cate Blanchett win an Oscar for her screen-scaring performance as Katherine Hepburn in "The Aviator?" It's a movie, not a Saturday Night Live skit.

  • Before the show Cliff Smith and I discussed which actor they would honor as the last one mentioned in the salute to those who passed away in the last year. How did we both forget about Marlon Brando? That one was obvious.

With 20 minutes to spare, I finished seeing the nominated movies before the broadcast began. "I, Robot" was I, Diotic. The robot-hating police officer turns out to be part-robot. There's a new concept.

"Super Size Me," the documentary about the guy who ate nothing but food from McDonald's for a month, was actually pretty good. And alarming. It motivated me to go to the gym this morning -- so there's something.

No comments: