Monday, February 14, 2005

As Free as the Wind Blows



On Rui Coimbra's suggestion, I had an excellent lunch today at Confeitaria Colombo which opened in 1894. It's located in the old section of Rio, which was fun to walk around in. The restaurant's layout and decorations reminded me of something from San Francisco's Barbary Coast era.

They had a piano player (who you can barely make out at the far end of the photo) playing live on an upright piano. The first song he played when I walked in was "Born Free." This seemed like a particularly cruel choice as my trip ends today and I'll soon be back in my cage aka work. (I'm just kidding. I enjoy my job and like the people I work with. And I'm not just writing this because I expect them all to be reading this blog each day!)

I enjoyed some last time this morning at Ipanema Beach. Now I'm fried and crispy and ready to come home.

Shortly I'm off to the airport for the first of three flights on United Airlines (my first United flights on this trip.) Tonight I fly from Rio to Sao Paulo and Sao Paulo to Chicago. And then tomorrow morning from Chicago to LAX.

I already have plans to meet GeezBob, Rui and Steve at Langer's at 1 on Tuesday. I can imagine our waitress, Evelyn, going around the restaurant telling everyone I've just returned from traveling around the world.

I can only hope the Chantilly Cake will be fresh. I KNOW there'll be plenty of ice in the iced tea.

No comments: