Thursday, February 24, 2005

Point, Counter Point

One thing about seeing all the movies nominated for an Academy Award is I'm sure watching a lot of stuff I wouldn't otherwise see. Tuesday night I rented the nominated documentary "Tupac: Resurrection" about gangsta rapper Tupac Shakur. (Spoiler ahead.) So am I the only one who didn't know that he's dead -- from the second time he was shot? I also learned that when he was in prison the celebrity letter that touched him the most was the one from Tony Danza. I also learned about the "Code of Thug Life." I guess I'm spending too much time in Honkeytown -- because I missed the whole 1990s East Coast vs. West Coast Rapper War altogether.

Then last night I rented "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." That kid's getting a little too old to play a boy wizard. But it's fun listening for his voice to crack.

Now that I'm back home I'm getting to visit restaurant that serve the food I craved while away. Yesterday I had lunch at "The Apple Pan," which is an old time lunch counter with a menu that Johnny Rocket's completely ripped off. No tables at T.A.P., just a long counter. It's always crowded and the protocol is you wait for an open stool in the order you arrive at the restaurant. Yesterday, mid-meal, a guy asked me if I would move over so he and his buddy could sit together. I told the guy, "No, but I'll be through soon and you can sit here then." Well, the fellow got huffy and told his buddy in a loud voice, "He won't scoot!" I'll tell you what -- that slice of pie sure took a long time to go down!

The sun has finally come out in Los Angeles. The top of my Ford Mustang is down. A new ABBA CD I got from Max Fanali's school fund-raising drive is in the player. And I'm off.

No comments: