Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

What a joy to pick and read some real newspapers at O'Hare airport yesterday. For the last six weeks I've been getting by on the International Herald Tribune (which the New York Times should be embarrassed to publish and for charging the equivalent of $3 for it in Brazil), the European edition of the Wall Street Journal and the European edition of USA Today.

I enjoyed learning about important news like all of the celebrities on Michael Jackson's witness list (Chicago Tribune), the challenges "big" travelers face (New York Times) and how to survive an airplane crash (Wall Street Journal) -- always fun to read while you're on an airplane.

All three of my flights home went off smoothly. I even had a chance to take a shower at the United Arrivals Suite at O'Hare. It's always comforting to be back in familiar surroundings. While some passengers may have been offended by the surly attitude of the United flight attendants on my long flight from Sao Paulo to Chicago (like forgetting to get me a Diet Pepsi and then telling me they didn't have time to get me one) I felt like I was back in America. It can't be easy to be an airline employee these days, and I actually didn't mind if they took it out on me a little. What's up with that?

Now I'm back home and I have a two page list of things to do. Mundane stuff like getting my hair cut and paying bills. Fortunately, I can put my bill payments in the mail myself rather than sending them to GeezBob to mail for me -- which he nicely did in January and earlier this month.

Lunch at Langer's yesterday was good. I had my usual Patty Melt. Our waitress, Evelyn, seemed pretty busy with the lunch crush. I'm sure we'll have more time to visit when it's slower there on Saturday. GeezBob, Rui and Steve all patiently listened to my stories. I'm afraid I did most of the talking. They had finished their lunch and I had barely touched mine -- not a good sign!

With two Sundays to go before the Academy Awards I'm anxious to see the few films nominated that I haven't already seen. I'm looking to catch "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" today. It's nominated for Art Direction, Costume, Makeup and Original Score

No comments: