Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Simple Life



So this is the kind of hotel room 70 Euros gets you in Venice in the off season. So it's not exactly a Hilton -- but the Hotel Do Pozzi's location is great, just steps from the Piazza San Marco.

So, I knew Venice had canals, but I didn't really get it. There really are no streets. You get around on foot or on the canals. It's all very "The Italian Job."

Today was the "big" train trip of my journey -- 7 hours from Vienna to Venice. We left Vienna in the dark and an hour later when the sun came up we were in the mountains. Gorgeous.

When we got to the Italian border they announced that a new law throughout Italy bans smoking in all public places. It's fine by me, but given how Europeans smoke I can't imagine it's true.

Venice is unbelievably charming -- but internet access is tough to come by. I don't expect to blog again until I get to Florence on Monday at the earliest.

No comments: