Friday, January 07, 2005

Remember me?

Before today I had only flown internationally on three airlines -- United, Eastern (remember them?) and British Airways. The service on ANA blows them out of the water. What a beautiful, beautiful flight. When was the last time you had a flight attendant pay attention to the placement of the can when giving you a soda?

I'm at Tokyo Narita airport awaiting my flight to Shanghai. Last time I was at this airport was nearly 20 years ago in 1985 or 1986. It was right after United started flying to Tokyo and they had some amazing mileage special so I basically flew from DC for a weekend. It was my first trip overseas. I spent every penny (or yen) I brought with me. The last bit of it went for the bus ticket back to the airport. It was only then that I learned that you have to pay a "departure tax" at Narita in cash. I didn't have it and had no way of getting it. Some official took pity on me and marked on my papers that I was changing planes rather than originating at Narita. That's the only way I got to leave. Hope he doesn't spot me today.

No comments: