Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Holy Must See

Took a great bus tour of Rome and spent this morning at the Vatican. The endless halls filled with antiquities at the Vatican is simply breathtaking. The tour was conducted by a colorful character named Roberto. As Roberto said as we were walking the halls of the Vatican Museum -- We could spend days here. Why not? (I still can't find the key for quote marks on this keyboard.(

The Sistine Chapel lives up to its reputation and is most impressive. However, St. Peter's Basilica is without a doubt the most overwhelming religious building I've ever seen. The scope of the space in indescribable. And Michaelangelo's Pieta is another beautiful piece of sculpture.

The Vatican Snack Shop, by the way, serves excellent pizza by the slice. A very thin and crispy crust. Of course they don't have any ice to go with the Diet Cokes. I guess that would have taken a miracle.

I had a good lunch at Ristorante Giardinaccio near St. Peter's Square. It specializes in dishes from Molisia, a region in southeastern Italy. Peasant food like grilled goat, quail and mutton goulash. Being the adventurous eater that I am, I enjoyed the minestrone soup and ravioli.

There were only 3 of us on the tour -- myself and an older couple from Rio de Janeiro of all places. Angus and Hile actually gave me their phone number in case I need anything when I'm there in a couple of weeks. Hearing that I was coming for Carnival, Angus suggested I bring my drinking boots, whatever that might be.

On the way to the Vatican we drove by the beautiful American Embassy near Barberini Square. The guards outside had their machine guns out. I don't know if that's standard procedure now or if tensions were high because of today's Inaugural.

I got pickpocketed on the Rome subway coming back to my hotel. So there's a big city experience for you. Fortunately, I only lost some cash, not credit cards or ID. I guess I let my guard down for a little bit. Activate the defense shield.

I took lots of cool photos today and hope to post them once I get to my hotel room in Paris tomorrow. It's back to the can-do land of Hilton Hotels, and not a moment too soon.

No comments: