Monday, January 17, 2005

But I Have an Itinerary



Today is the date for a one-day strike of the Italian Railways. Today was also supposed to be the day I took the train from Venice to Florence.

I guess "being" on vacation is working -- because I really don't care. Somehow being forced to spend more time in Venice doesn't seem like such a terrible thing.

Hopefully, instead of leaving in the middle of the day I'll leave this evening and still get to Florence tonight. Otherwise I leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I do want to get to Florence because I have reservations tomorrow for the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia Gallery (with the David sculpture.)

In the meantime I have unstructured time in Venice.

I've learned this is a quiet time in Venice. Many hotels and restaurants are closed right now. They reopen in time for Carnival at the end of the month.

In some ways I think I was lucky to see it without a whole lot of tourists around. Apparently the lines can get pretty daunting for some of the popular attractions.

I had hoped to go to the Peggy Guggenheim Museum with its great collection of modern art -- but unfortunately, it's closed down for a few weeks for renovations.

The Italian people provide a constant fashion parade and I've noticed they are very fashion forward with their eyewear.

So I'm off to lunch and more exploring this afternoon before testing my luck at the train station this evening.

Ciao!

No comments: