Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Cheers, Renee



My friend and colleague from Woodward & McDowell's Burlingame office, Renee Rose, bought me a couple of martinis last night at Duke's Hotel on St. James Place. Her husband, Harvey, says they are the best martinis in the world. Who am I to argue? They certainly are the best I've ever had.

Later in the evening I saw Andrew Lloyd Weber's new musical "The Woman in White" at the Palace Theater. Unfortunately, I thought it was boring. And most disappointing was the zesty role of Count Fosco, normally played by Michael Crawford, was covered by an understudy. And while I'm complaining -- instead of traditional scenery they use video images broadcast on a screen at the back of the stage. It's completely distracting and annoying. Harrumph.

Interestingly, in New York when a famous actor misses a performance you can get your money back with no questions asked. Not so in London. I didn't consider returning my ticket, but the couple in line in front of me when I went to pick up my ticket were sure getting the run around.

The Academy Award nominations are broadcast live on BBC 4 at 1:30 p.m. today. Not sure if I'll watch or not -- but it sure beats getting up at 5 a.m. to watch them in L.A.

I have the rest of the day in London and then tonight I'm taking a 6,000 mile overnight flight to Cape Town via Frankfurt.

No comments: