Saturday, January 08, 2005

Shouting from the Rooftops


Had dinner last night at "M on the Bund." I don't know if it's the best restaurant in Shanghai or not, but it's certainly the most publicized. I couldn't read an article about Shanghai without this restaurant being mentioned. But I see why -- it's excellent.

This photo was taken from their rooftop terrace. During warmer times of the year they serve meals outdoors. It's too cold to do that this time of the year (around 45 degrees last night) but you can still go out there and look around.

The Bund is the development of Shanghai that took place around 1905 along the main river. On the other side of the river is Pudong, the modern half of downtown filled with startling skyscrapers.

Today I'm going to take the "Tourist Sightseeing Tunnel" under the river to Pudong and visit the Oriental Pearl Tower -- Shanghai's Empire State Building.

I've found it pretty easy to get around. I've been on the subway 3 times already.

The bullet train from the airport to Pudong was closed down for the evening when I arrived Friday night. But I'm hoping to leave town that way on Tuesday.

Lots of guys on the street keep trying to sell me a Rolex. I'm sure they're authentic. A few beggars walk along side asking for money. I can't solve all the worlds problems, so I just keep walking. If they get too close I give them a "don't touch the American" and eventually they give up. Posted by Hello

No comments: