Monday, January 24, 2005

The Iceman Cometh



One of my biggest gripes about traveling in Europe is the lack of ice. Most times they'll serve you a drink cold, but with no ice. Sometimes one cube. If you ask for "a lot of ice" they give you three cubes and look at you like you're crazy.

So imagine my delight when I found this self serve ice machine at a movie theater last night in London. I predict a wave of ice-mania is going to sweep the Continent.

I saw "A Very Long Engagement" which was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Picture. Audrey Tautou is very good in it. Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet also worked with her on "Amelie."

I also had an excellent dinner at Balan's, at their Kensington location. They have four or five locations in London and one in Miami. I had previously eaten at their SoHo location on Old Compton Street. Frankly, I remember that dinner as being a bit of a mess. But last night's roast beef special put to rest the myth that there's no good food in London. And it came with a most excellent Yorkshire Pudding to boot.

No comments: