Thursday, January 27, 2005

Cape Town Outdoes Itself

It's hard for me to believe, but the weather in Cape Town today was even more gorgeous than yesterday. It's about 80 degrees with the bluest blue sky I've ever seen.

I took the cable car to the top of Table Mountain today. Sadly, the one cloud in the sky settled on the top of the mountain and you couldn't see a thing. But it was about 20 degrees cooler and very misty in the cloud. The cable car ride up, up, up was pretty cool.

I also took a City Tour this afternoon. Fascinating. Our guide was quite willing to discuss the realities of South Africa's apartheid past. I asked him if much has changed since the end of apartheid. His answer was, "really, not much."

We visited the Sixth District Museum which tells the story of Botha government's clearing "blacks and coloreds" (the government's terms, not mine) from much of central Cape Town in the 50s. Very moving, but to be honest many of the displays look like they could have come from the U.S. South only about 15 years earlier.

Lufthansa has lost one of my two bags. I had pretty much divided my bags into one for clean clothes and one for dirty clothes. Fortunately they've misplaced the one with the dirty clothes. So I'm not too freaked out. I figure it will show up when it shows up. I don't think the people I work with will recognize the new Ted Green when I return.

No comments: