Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What I Missed Being Eight



Ventured over to the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Boulevard tonight for a screening of "Harold and Maude" -- 35 years after it was originally released.

What a great, great movie. I can't believe I'd never seen it before.

Bud Cort plays a sullen young man, Harold, who "performs" suicides to try and shock his seen-it-all Mother, played to perfection by Vivian Pickles.

Harold drives around in a hearse and attends strangers' funerals for fun. (I kept thinking of him as an early inspiration for "Six Feet Under."

Ruth Gordon plays "Maude" a 79-year-old grab-life-by-the-horns spitfire who drives really fast and really poorly (in stolen cars.)

Maude sums up her outlook on life as, "Go Team! L-I-V-E! What else are you going to talk about in the locker room?"

Maude teaches Harold how to live -- and Harold teaches Maude...well you get the idea.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Matthew Bamberg said...

One of my favorites. Nice sign pic. Check out my book of signs blog, a link on my blog page.