Saturday, February 18, 2006

I Just Played with Blocks



Spent today in San Francisco, and despite rain both there and in Los Angeles my United flight home made it on-time.

Good thing since I was seeing "It Came From Beyond" www.itcamefrombeyond.com tonight at 8 o'clock. This was the show that www.plays411.com made arrangements for me to see after last weekend's episode with "Southern Baptist Sissies" www.seasonofshores.com.

What a fun musical! They describe it as "War of the Worlds meets Grease." It's set in a high school detention classroom and the action switches back and forth between the classroom and a comic book one of the students is reading. The same five actors play the school room characters and the comic book characters. Very creative!

Kevin Earley www.kevinearley.com plays a nerdy student and a Professor seeking to defend the earth against an alien invasion (you can figure out which is the comic book character). I've seen him in a couple Reprise! www.reprise.org productions. He's a great singer who often plays the younger leading man.

But Todd Fournier www.toddfournier.com steals the show as the classroom bully/alien invader. Fournier really shows off his ability to sing and dance in this show.

It was nice to see Mary Jo Catlett in the audience. I've seen her a couple of times in theater audiences recently and I still haven't had the nerve to tell her she's on my TiVo wish list.

The show is running at a theater in Hollywood I'd never heard of -- The Write Act Theater. Turns out it's at St. Stephens Episcopal Church -- specifically in the auditorium of the Delany Wright Fine Arts Preschool.

(What a trip when I went into the Men's Room to find tiny stepstools to allow the little ones to reach the sink and towel dispenser placed real low on the wall and assorted toys laying around.)

Small theaters in Hollywood are popping up in the most interesting places.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: