Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Melinda & Melinda Curse

Saw a couple of odd things today:

Driving to work I found myself behind a small truck on Olympic Blvd. with a sign in the rear window that read, "Nuclear Medicine Radioactive Materials." I'll tell you what -- I sure didn't tailgate.

Then waiting in line at Kinko's I saw a guy who was dropping off a FedEx package addressed to Mary Magdalene in New Mexico. What are the chances someone would have to overnight a M.M. a package that'll arrive on Good Friday?

After work I went by a travel expo at the Bel Age Hotel in West Hollywood. When I was in Rio I met a tour company owner who was staying at the same hotel I was. He went out of his way to get me a ticket to the Scala Ball during Carnaval. I was hoping he'd have a booth at the expo so I could thank him again (I've already written a thank you note.) Sure enough, Michael was there. He remembered me and the first thing he said was, "what's different?" about my appearance. Of course I immediately assumed the few pounds I've lost lately have radically altered my look. That made me very happy. Fortunately, instead I made some joke about when he met me in Rio I was in "vacation mode" but now I'm in "work mode."

It didn't occur to me until a full 90 minutes later that when I met Michael in Rio I had a two-month old beard that I've since shaved off. Guess I'd better stay on that exercise bike.

I thought I had carefully planned to see "Melinda and Melinda" tonight. It still bugs me that I missed it last night. I arrived at the theater at 7:40 p.m. in plenty of time for what I know from last night is the 7:45 p.m. show. Only one problem. Between last night and tonight -- without telling me -- the theater moved the 7:45 show up to 7:30. Foiled again!

So instead I saw "Dot the I," Gael Garcia Bernal's English language cinematic debut. It's an interesting, twisted movie where all of the characters have secrets. Now if someone will just let me see Woody Allen's latest, I'll be happy.

No comments: