Monday, March 07, 2005

Cornered

Had dinner last night at a newish restaurant at the corner of Hollywood and Vine that is creatively named "Hollywood and Vine Diner." It's a large space that's clearly aiming to take advantage of the nightlife/lounge resurgence in Hollywood. The food was good but I didn't like the menu enough to want to go back. And I thought it was overpriced. (But it is very convenient to the Pantages Theater.)

Tonight I had dinner at Rusty Updegraff's new restaurant at the corner of Santa Monica and Robertson, "Gozar." I did not like it at all. I should have known better. Any restaurant that describes its cuisine as a fusion of Cuban, Puerto Rican and Spanish is bound to be a disaster. It looked like most of the entrees are a bunch of different items all mixed in together (Cold Stone Creamery goes Latin).

I'd of been much happier with a combination plate from El Coyote.

I thought it was WAY overpriced. It's clear Updegraff poured a lot of money into redoing the former Kachina Grill -- too bad the concept doesn't work. Maybe they can balance the books with their bar -- it certainly has an ideal location for bar-hoppers.

No comments: