Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer in the City


Started my string of seven Broadway shows Wednesday afternoon at the matinee of "In the Heights" at the Richard Rodgers Theater. Many folks consider this show the front runner to win the Best New Musical Tony on Sunday

I have to admit I was expecting to dislike this show. I'm not a fan of the hip-hop and my heart mostly goes out to old-fashioned musicals.

When I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it. It's just that I'm rarely wrong. But in this case I was. This show is absolutely irresistible.

Set in the Latino barrio of New York City's Washington Heights, this musical mixes hip-hop with a Latino beat with what is essentially a very old-fashioned story -- immigrants torn between their love of their neighborhood versus the desire to "get out."

And in an exciting development for anyone concerned about the future of theater in America, there were LOTS of young people in the audience and they made it quite clear they were delighted.

I'm not sure if it's going to win the Tony or not -- predictions coming Saturday night -- but I completely understand why it's a major contender.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: