Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Counter-Culture Christmas


Went to Royce Hall at UCLA tonight to see "A John Waters Christmas."

For three years in a row, the famous director has delivered a monologue/lecture on Christmas and everything else that occurs to him. It was my first time attending.

It was hilarious. I don't like to think of myself as "a square" but some of the stuff was downright shocking. I guess given his ouvre that shouldn't be surprising.

After Waters finished speaking he took a few questions from the audience. I asked if he still recorded the daily happenings of his life on 3X5 cards. He reached into the pocket of his knee-length velvet jacket and pulled out "today's card." I asked him what was on it and he replied, "learn speech."

When it comes to the fetid underbelly of Americana, John Waters knows his stuff. I especially loved his story about the "scariest" bar in Baltimore, the one with the 70-year old stripper. You'll have to ask me for the punchline in person. I'm too square to write it here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: