Saturday, October 21, 2006

Oingo Boingo: Still Not A Sit Down Concert


Went to the Greek Theater tonight to see a concert with a curious title: "Johnny Vatos' Tribute to Halloween with members of Oingo Boingo." (Vatos is the drummer in the photo above.)

In other words, Oingo Boingo without Danny Elfman singing.

I've been an Oingo Boingo fan for a long time. I can remember the exact night I last saw them perform -- January 19, 1993 (the night of my 30th Birthday). I went with GeezBob and Beth Fujishige to see them at the Universal Amphitheater.

So I was very excited when I heard about this reunion.

Oingo Boingo peaked in the late 70s and early 80s. This means tonight's audience was mostly in their 40s and 50s (and beyond). Surprisingly, the crowd spent most of the Oingo Boingo set on their feet. Some even jumped up and down to the music.

It was fun to watch the crowd. I was a little worried that some would lose their grip on their walker and break a hip. But as best I could tell everyone made it through the concert without any injuries.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: