Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Hello, Senior


Spent this afternoon in Laguna Woods Village (formerly known as Leisure World) in southern Orange County for an Elections Forum in Clubhouse Five.

It was great to be in a room of people who really want to understand the issues before they vote on them.

At the other end of the age spectrum, tonight I saw a movie titled, "Quinceaneara." It's partly about the Latino custom of celebrating a girl's fifteenth birthday as the occasion she becomes a woman.

But the film is also about the predominantly Latino community of Echo Park in Los Angeles and its struggles with the pressures of regentrification.

This aspect of the movie seemed very "through the looking glass" to me. I drive through Echo Park a lot (going to and from Dodger Stadium) but I'm not part of Echo Park. It was fascinating to see so many locations I recognize on Sunset Boulevard from a different point of view.

I guess I got put in my place a little bit when I ordered my movie ticket at the window. I did my best to properly enunciate the name of the movie -- I did study Spanish for many years, after all. The Latina behind the glass promptly printed me a ticket for a different movie, "Zen Noir."

When I pointed to the name of the movie I wanted to see she said the word with an appropriate Spanish accent.

I admit I hadn't said it right, but I still think I was closer to "Quinceanera" than I was to "Zen Noir."
Posted by Picasa

No comments: