Sunday, October 15, 2006



Earlier in the day my family held a memorial gathering for my Grandmother, Maxie Green, who passed away on August 27th at the age of 94.

In talking about her life I said it's normally taboo to discuss religion and politics at a funeral -- but that's what I think of when I remember her.

When I was young I would regularly go with her to the First Baptist Church of Wilmington. I was always impressed by how many people she knew and how happy they were to see her.

In terms of politics, I talked about going with her to President Bush's Inaugural in 1989. 77 years old at the time, she had the time of her life going from event to event -- proudly showing off her itinerary to Senators she met along the way, like Connie Mack of Florida.

Though I didn't agree with her politics much of the time, there's no doubt I work on campaigns today because of her lifelong interest in elected officials and current events. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anne said...

Ted,
I could picture Maxie as you were recalling your memories of her - and they were perfectly apt in that setting. They were about who Maxie really was and about the effect she had on you and the other members of the family. It was a very special day.