Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Thinking of China




Seemed fitting tonight to go to a screening of a Chinese movie since I was in Shanghai exactly one year ago.

"The Promise" is nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film.

Famed Director Chen Kaige was on-hand to introduce his film and make a few comments before the screening. In discussing the political changes taking place in China Kaige said, "Only when you have the freedom of heart can you fly." I couldn't have said it better myself.

The movie is very different from any movie made in America. It's a fantastical fable set at a time and place where Gods lived amongst the people. There are epic battle scenes along with lots of hand-to-hand combat where people fly about.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but I'm glad I saw it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: