Friday, January 27, 2006

A Fantasia on White Trash



Saw a great play tonight, "Sordid Lives" by Del Shores.

It's a touching comedy about a very dysfunctional family in Winters, Texas. Since he grew up in smalltown Texas, Shores has an amazing ability to capture the speech patterns and lifestyle rhythms of the rural south.

(As one who grew up with a Southern Baptist grandmother -- trust me, I know. When they work the hymn "Just As I Am" into the script I could hear Grandmother Green singing in my head.)

The show is running at the Zephyr Theater on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood. This theater opened 50 years ago as "The Horseshoe Stage" and has been a working stage ever since.

Calling it "A Season of Shores," the Zephyr plans to present all six of Del Shores plays over the course of the year. I can't wait.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: