Sunday, August 07, 2005

Now I Get It

For years I've heard about the "Elgin Marbles" at the British Museum, but I never understood what all the fuss was about. How impressive could a collection of a kids toy you can buy for $5 a bag really be?

Yes, I too can be a dumb American. Spent the afternoon at the British Museum and know I know the "Elgin Marbles" are an amazing collection of marble sculptures from the Parthenon in Greece. Incidentally, now that Greece was the sculptures back, the British Museum refers to them as "the Parthenon Sculptures" and no longer uses the name of Lord Elgin who brought the collection from Greece to Merry Ole England. For obvious reasons I think the new name is better anyway.

The size and scope of the British Museum is pretty overwhelming. I took a guided tour focusing on their "Classic" collection -- mostly ancient art from Greece and Rome starting around 400 BC.

Had a lovely evening at Sadler's Wells -- the premier Ballet Theater in London -- where I saw a dance drama production of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" starring Adam Cooper and his wife, Sarah Wildor.

Adam Cooper has starred in a number of dance productions by Matthew Bourne and in the movie "Billy Elliott" he plays the adult dancer little Billy grows up to be. This is his first show on "his own" with Adam Cooper Productions. I liked it a lot. Great dancing, beautiful music and costumes. Being seated front row, center didn't hurt either. (Yes, I made it to the Stalls.)

It was a gorgeous, sunny day here today around 70 degrees. Supposed to be the same tomorrow.

No comments: