Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Luck Was A Lady Today

How sweet it is! Today's nonstop flight on United from Heathrow to LAX was oversold. They bumped a few Coach passengers up to Business Class. When I arrived at my confirmed Business Class seat someone was already sitting in it. Before I even had time to warm up the tantrum machine he informed me a United Agent was looking for me with some "news." That's when I learned I was flying home First Class.

Business Class is lovely, but on a completely full, 11 hour flight the difference between Business and First is huge!

(On the way from Dulles to London, in Business Class, I kept bumping elbows with the man sitting next to me. Ironically I bumped into him twice over the weekend in London.)

A fully reclining sleeper seat, great food, lots of room and videos on demand made for a great flight home.

But, alas, not everyone was happy up front. Across the aisle from me sat an elderly man and woman who I imagined to be former Nazis who've been living as wealthy exiles in Argentina for the last 50 years. The woman changed what she was wearing on her head at least four times during the flight.

She made friends with the woman in front of me, Miss Pity Pot, who wasn't happy either. Two thirds of the way through the flight Mrs. Nazi said to Miss Pity Pot in a loud and dramatic voice, "I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, by the food and the service."

I enjoyed joining their conversation with, "You must have been on some lovely flights back in the old days." After that Miss Pity Pot sulked in her chair and Mrs. Nazi went to change her headpiece again.

Lady Luck did not shine on the Dodgers who lost again tonight 9 to 5 to the Phillies. It's the second game in a row I've attended where a Dodger pitcher has given up a Grand Slam Home Run. (The last one was Thursday night in DC.)

No comments: