Thursday, July 07, 2005

Here's Looking at You

Saw an interesting little movie tonight entitled, "Heights." It stars Glenn Close as a major Broadway actress who goes through life quoting Shakespeare.

It's about five intertwined lives (filled with secrets) in New York City. I can't really articulate what the message of the movie is, but I found it entertaining. I'm fascinated by how New York City residents, because of the lack of private transportation, lead their lives constantly surrounded by other people -- in the subway, in taxis and walking down the streets. This movie captures that perfectly. I guess the name of the movie comes from all the rooftop shots looking down on New York City.

On the topic of public transportation, my heart goes out to the people of London for what they suffered through today. I wonder if we've reached the point where we need airport-style security for our public transportation -- no matter how impractical it may be.

And what happened today doesn't dissuade me from visiting London next month -- just as seeing an accident on the freeway doesn't make me give up driving.

No comments: