Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bats Belong in the Belfry


My Sunday afternoon was spent visiting the impossibly beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney.

While it was lovely to walk around I was startled by the presence of bats in the trees.

I heard the racket they were making and wondered what kind of bird was making that noise. Looking up I realized it wasn't coming from birds at all and I was standing right underneath some of them. Creepy!

The bats seemed to strike some sort of primordial fear in me. Whenever one of them would fly I would automatically cringe and shudder. While I was photographing some of them in a tree a butterfly flew about two inches from my face and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

The Sydneysiders seem used to them. They walk right by and don't even care the trees are filled with bats!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Ted, Those bats have a wild migration pattern: They stay in the botanical gardens during the day and then fly at dusk to Centennial Park (near the Fox Studios), and then back again in the wee hours of the morning.