Sunday, May 07, 2006

Momma Used to Tell Me...Always Bring Your Camera



When will I learn to have my camera with me at all times?

I went out to lunch today (Langer's, natch) and then to run some errands -- and left my camera at home because it all seemed routine.

Around 2:45 p.m. I ended up at Barnes & Noble at The Grove to buy a gift certificate and found out Liza Minelli was signing the new DVD of her old TV special, "Liza with a Z" at 3.

The store was abuzz and a few hundred people were already lined up. I didn't stick around because I was bummed about not being able to take a picture.

Saw the Reprise! production of Kander and Ebb's "Zorba" tonight. (Ironically, Kander and Ebb wrote the music and lyrics for "Liza with a Z.")

"Zorba" has that famous line, "life is what you do while you're waiting to die." But the show is more "up" than that sounds.

Marc Kudisch sang beautifully as Zorba, but I have to agree with the L.A. Times that he is at least 10 years too young to play the role immortalized in the movie by Anthony Quinn.

Judy Kaye was excellent at Madame Hortense -- and now I'm rooting for her to win a Tony next month for her performance in "Souvenir: A Fantasia On The Life Of Florence Foster Jenkins."

Posted by Picasa

No comments: