Tuesday, February 10, 2009


Saturday night I went to see Stephen Schwartz' "Pippin," a co-production of the Center Theater Group and Deaf West Theater at the Mark Taper Forum.

This is the show that made Ben Vereen a star in the 70s, but I'd never seen it and I loved it!

Much like their previous production of "Big River," this show is told simultaneously in English and American Sign Language. That doesn't mean there's a sign language interpreter standing on the side of the stage -- sign language is beautifully incorporated into the choreography. And many of the roles are covered by two actors -- one acting the role and one providing the voice.

"Pippin" is about finding what's truly important in life -- love vs. glamour. I felt a little awkward at the end because I found myself identifying with the stuff the show suggests is not important, but anywho.

All the performers did a fine job but Harriet Harris, once again, steals the show in my opinion. Watching her sing and sign and act and dance all at the same time is almost too much to take!

Speaking of hearing, I got mine back on Friday. Let me explain. I had a cold in January and my ears got so stuffed up I had to tell people to talk into my right ear because my left one had no reception.

I went to the doctor on Friday and had my ears flushed out. The nurse was so funny. "It's just like birthing a baby," she said as she coaxed a perfect Kandy Korn shaped glob of wax and whatnot out of my ear canal. And that was my good ear.

Ever since then everyone around me seems to be talking so loudly. After my doctor's appointment I went for breakfast around the corner at Nate 'n Al's (Larry King's favorite deli) and was shocked as the guests at tables around me seemingly shouted their special orders to the waitress.

"Burn the toast -- not dark -- burn it." "I want my eggs soft, not runny, but soft."

It was driving my crazy, until my turn came to place my special order.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: