Monday, February 16, 2009

Theodore of Arabia


I spent much of yesterday on a desert safari outside of Dubai -- riding around on sand dunes in a SUV and, yes, riding a camel. The photo above is when the camel first started standing up and despite watching several people do it before me I was still caught by surprise by what it was like.

Now the Jet Lag Tour '09 is moving on and I'm in transit to Tel Aviv.

Because of geopolitics and frequent flyer challenges, it's not easy getting from Dubai to Tel Aviv.

First I flew this morning on Egypt Air to Cairo. (That's where I am right now.) Soon I'm boarding another Egypt Air flight to Istanbul. From there I'll transfer to Turkish Air for a flight to Tel Aviv.

My flight this morning out of Dubai departed at 4:55 a.m., so I was up at 2:00 a.m. (Oy!)

Dubai's time zone is exactly 12 hours ahead of Los Angeles. 12 hours is the maximum amout of time difference your body can feel. When it's 8 p.m. where you're at and it feels like it's 8 a.m., that's as bad as it gets. Of course, it's possible for somewhere to be 23 hours ahead of another place, but that only feels like a one hour difference to your body.

It takes about one day per hour for your body to truly adjust. So I certainly felt the time difference in Dubai. Fortunately, it made getting up at 2:00 a.m. this morning a little easier.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: