Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Nice Shalom


I arrived at the Tel Aviv Hilton last night, exhausted, a full 18 hours after leaving my hotel in Dubai.

Security passing through the Ben Gurion Airport was very visible but not nearly as intense as I had expected. (We'll see what it's like leaving.) The lady at the Passport Control Booth had more questions that I'm used to and stumped me with "How have you heard of Israel?"

I had promised myself I wouldn't be sarcastic with Israeli security. I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face because she changed the question to "Why do you want to visit Tel Aviv?" I answered that it's a fascinating city I've always wanted to see for myself. Satisfied, she waved me through.

My Frommer's tour book describes a shuttle bus service that offers inexpensive transportation to the tourist hotels along the coast. I went to the Information Booth at the airport and asked, "Where can I find the United Tours Shuttle Bus to hotels?" To which the man behind the window replied, and I quote, "I don't know. Don't you have a cellphone?" This is the guy working in the Information Booth!

I never did find the shuttle bus and ended up taking a taxi. Maybe I should have told the woman in the Passport Control Booth I wanted to visit Tel Aviv because it is world renown for friendly customer service. (I'm allowed to be sarcastic in my blog.)

Turns out the Tel Aviv Hilton Hotel is a real dump -- an expensive dump. Apparently some of the floors have been renovated but I'm not allowed on those floors, nor am I allowed in the Executive Lounge, because I "chose" free internet access as my "benefit."

I think I'm checking out early and moving to a much less expensive hotel across the street.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: