Monday, September 08, 2008

What a Way to Make a Livin'


Went to the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Boulevard tonight to see a screening of the 1980 classic Jane Fonda/Dolly Parton/Lily Tomlin movie "9 to 5." Patricia Resnick (photo left), an acquaintance of mine, wrote the screenplay.

The screening was really to promote the new musical "9 to 5" set for its first performance Tuesday night at the Ahmanson Theater. After its out-of-town run its set to move to Broadway.

I was actually scheduled to see "9 to 5: The Musical" last Saturday night but the performance, along with 4 others was canceled. I'm rescheduled to see it now this coming Friday. (Resnick wrote the book for the musical.)

During the Q&A after the screening I asked Patricia why the first performances were canceled. She gave two reasons: 1) during rehearsals the male lead, Mark Kudisch, fell into a 10-foot pit on the stage without a crashpad. He hurt his back and that slowed down their progress; 2) the show involves lots of computerized sets moving on and off the stage and it's taken longer than expected to work out all the bugs.

Though I was familiar with the movie I don't think I'd actually seen it before tonight. So that was fun. And now I'm really psyched to see the musical.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: