Monday, September 15, 2008


Friday night I went to see the new musical, "9 to 5" at the Ahmanson Theater.

Set to travel to Broadway, I have no doubt this show will be a hit. But I have to admit I was underwhelmed.

Mostly faithful to the 1980 movie's storyline, this show stars Allison Janney along with Stephanie J. Block and Megan Hilty, both of whom recently starred in "Wicked."

With a well-known theme song and the cache of Dollly Parton and Janney, I'm sure this show will seem "accessible" to tourists visiting NYC along with the bridge-and-tunnel crowd Broadway theaters depend upon to buy tickets.

Janney, who has a strong stage presence, talks her way through her songs a la Rex Harrison. And at one point in the show she even does a lame fake tap dance.

But other than sets that move around a lot there's nothing cutting edge or revolutionary about this perfectly fine show.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that both Megan Hilty and SJB wowed the audience with their vocals, but I can see what you mean about being underwhelmed with Allison and the sets.