Sunday, May 25, 2008

So Shoot Me


I just don't "get" David Mamet. I don't think his writing is funny. I don't think it's interesting. I don't think it's informative or moving. I know I'm supposed to, but I don't.

The Kirk Douglas Theater in Culver City is presenting "Two Unrelated Plays," two one-act plays by Mamet. This program replaces the twice-postponed "A Waitress in Yellowstone" by Mamet.

The first play, "Duck Variations," written in 1971 features two old guys sitting on a park bench talking about ducks. Somehow their discussion about the struggle between ducks and the blue heron is supposed to shine a light on the great issues in life.

It's great to get to see Harold Gould on stage but, I'm sorry, that's an hour of my life I'll never have back.

The second play, written in 2008, is called "Keep Your Pantheon." Bad news: The title is as good as it gets. This moronic play is about a group of bad actors in ancient Rome who just can't catch a break. I'm thinking their problem isn't their acting ability, it's their choice of playwright!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: