Thursday, May 10, 2007

Where'd I Park My Car?


"Away From Her" is a bittersweet new movie from Canada starring Julie Christie about the long goodbye of Alzheimer's.

I saw it tonight at the ArcLight Theater in Hollywood. I don't remember why I snapped this photo of the gift shop.

Christie portrays a woman whose mind starts to go after more than 40 years of marriage. She puts a freshly washed skillet in the freezer rather than in the cupboard, sometimes she can't remember what "yellow" is.

So often in long term relationships it's the woman who takes care of the ailing male. In this story it's the reverse. But Christie's character, in her lucid moments, helps her husband make some of life's really tough decisions.

I know it's too early to talk Oscar, but Christie deserves a nomination for her beautiful portrayal of a woman slowly, every so slowly, losing her mind.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: