Sunday, October 16, 2005

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow

It was raining tonight when I came out of the Pantages Theater in Hollywood after seeing "Annie." I didn't really mind because it gave me a chance to say to the people around me in the lobby, "don't worry, the Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow." I'm so funny.

I went into the show with low expectations. I was expecting another typical bus-and-truck roadshow. I was pleasantly surprised. The sets were pretty basic, but the cast was talented.

Conrad John Schuck, best known as Sgt. Enright on McMillan and Wife, was a strong Daddy Warbucks. And Mackenzie Phillips, Julie Cooper from One Day at A Time, showed up as Lily St. Regis -- the con woman.

Can you believe it was my first time seeing "Annie?" I guess if I'd known it was so political I would have seen it sooner. I enjoyed the discussion of Hoover and Roosevelt-era politics. And I did not know that Annie was single handedly responsible for the New Deal, which she inspired by singing her Big Number atop the table in the Oval Office.

Back on the rain, I'm sure glad I didn't get my car washed today. I nearly did, but decided to hurry home to watch the USC vs. Notre Dame football game.

And what a game that was! The last two minutes may have been the most intense two minutes of football I've ever watched. I was nearly in tears when the clock ran out and the Notre Dame coach and students came out on the field. But since the ball had been knocked out of play the clock was reset with 7 seconds remaining. Trojan Quarterback Matt Leinart held onto the ball and barely ran it into the endzone to score the winning touchdown. The Trojans defeated the Fighting Irish 34 to 31.

Can you believe the Irish, in a failed attempt to slow down the Trojan running game, let the turf on the field grow so long? It looked like the rough on a golf course. I hope my friend, Michael Paese, who was a Notre Dame Student Body President in the 80s personally takes a riding mower out of the shed and mows that field in shame.

No comments: