Friday, October 07, 2005

I'll Get It

Caught the new Lypsinka show, "The Passion of the Crawford," tonight at the Renberg Theater in Hollywood.

Having seen her perform over the last 15 years in Los Angeles, New York, Miami and Provincetown I consider myself something of a Lypsinka fan.

Tonight's show was good, but not one of my Lypsinka favorites. Normally Lypsinka's shows feature lip-synching to soundbites from lots of movie divas edited together in a very funny and wity way.

As you can guess from the title, "The Passion of the Crawford" features Lypsinka solely as Joan Crawford. The show starts with a long (30 minutes?) recording of an interview Crawford gave late in her career at Town Hall in New York City.

It's only after this interview that we get Crawford soundbites from various movies. The second part of the show also includes a pretty funny poem Crawford once read that salutes Alice in Wonderland and Little Boy Blue.

Fortunately, Lypsinka included her patented "ringing phone" routine. I think her loyal fans would have rioted had it been omitted.

I suppose it's a little like a rock band that wants to perform its new numbers while its fans just want to hear the old hits.

I can see why Lypsinka wanted to try something new -- but the old stuff still works pretty well for me.

No comments: