Thursday, October 06, 2005

Getting It Right

Heard a funny exchange today between a crotchety old man and a waitress trying to take his order at Jann's Restaurant on Beverly Boulevard. It went something like this:

"I want a tuna FISH sandwich."

"OK, one tuna salad."

"No! I don't want a salad. I want a tuna FISH sandwich."

"OK, one fish sandwich."

"No! I don't want a FISH sandwich. I want TUNA fish."

"OK, one TUNA salad."

"NO!......."

Finally another waitress intervened and they solved the problem by pointing to the picture in the menu.

Fortunately I don't have any fear of getting older and becoming that crotchety old man. I hate tuna fish.

Tonight I checked out Nicholas Cage's new movie, "Lord of War." If you like Nick Cage you'll like this movie. I don't mean if you like Cage playing a character -- I mean if you like Nick Cage.

He doesn't seem like a guy who was born in the Ukraine and immigrated to Brighton Beach, Long Island, New York. He seems like, well, Nicholas Cage. Especially since he narrates the entire movie in that "I'm...Nicholas...Cage...talking...real...slow...and...monotone" kind of voice.

The movie is an interesting story about gun-running arms dealers in the 80s and 90s. But it's filmed is a stylized, MTV video sort of way that renders the story completely unbelievable.

But if you like Nick Cage.....

No comments: