Friday, October 14, 2005

Happy Birthday!

Today marks exactly one year since I started this blog. In fact, my first (lame) entry still can be read in the October, 2004 archives.

It all started at the suggestion of Karen Kapler as a way to share photos of my upcoming around-the-world trip with friends and family. (If you haven't seen the photos, check out the January and February 2005 archives.)

And 609 post and 2,596 visitors later it's still going strong. I'm really enjoying keeping it up. I like having a place to share interesting things that happen to me -- at least I think they're interesting!

The movie I saw tonight was definitely interesting. It's called "Loggerheads." Bonnie Hunt does a stunning dramatic turn as a woman who gave up her baby for adoption when she was 17. The film also looks at the adoptive parents who reject their son because he is gay. And Kip Pardue plays the son who deals with double rejection. No walk in the park, this film.

The film's title refers to Loggerhead Turtles that come to the North Carolina Shore at night to lay their eggs in the sand. Once the eggs are laid they're abandoned by their mother. They hatch and find their way to the ocean, on their own, via moonlight. After the hatchlings mature, the females return to the exact spot where they were born to lay their own eggs and repeat the cycle of life.

1 comment:

It's just me said...

Happy birthday to your blog! I actually haven't read your archives, just the current posts, but I'm waiting for some downtime to to catch up on yours and my other friends' blogs.