Friday, October 21, 2005

The Photo Drought is Over



Saw a really outstanding film tonight called, "The Squid and the Whale." It stars Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels as a married couple going through a divorce and attacking each other through their two children.

This movie makes you laugh while breaking your heart at the same time. Excellent script and great acting!

As you can see from above, I got a new camera today. I went with the Olympus Stylus 600. So far I'm liking it.

I went to dinner tonight at Canter's on Fairfax Boulevard and was learning how the camera works by taking pictures of the fancy fruit cups on display. The restaurant manager came over and told me that customers aren't allowed to use cameras inside Canter's .

After I stopped laughing I asked way. He told me -- with a straight face -- that other restaurants wanting to duplicate Canter's look might send someone in to take photos of the place.

Yeah, there's a lot of demand for mid-50s, enormous diner/delis these days. (It probably has more to do with the infamous KCBS hidden cameras that recorded some pretty hideous health violations at Canter's a couple of years ago.)

But I complied and put my camera today. I don't know what I'd do if I got 86ed from Canter's.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Chaya said...

Canters Deli IS a one of a kind place! It's been around forever in my life. The child in me remembers the best desserts brought home from Canters, chocolate cakes with fruit and whipped cream. There was only one time I went there as an adult and was not exactly happy with the food and service. That one bad experience could never cancel out all of my fond memories of Canters

Sorry to hear about the hideous health violations, I haven't been in L.A. for awhile.