Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Onto the Pile of Junk



Filled up my second book of scorecards for this baseball season tonight. I'm going to my last game tomorrow night, but I don't see buying another book just to score one game. The photo above is my record of the July 30 game, which the Dodgers lost to the St. Louis Cardinals 9 to 4. See how I staple my ticket in the lower righthand corner. It's all admittedly anal.

Many moons ago I took a statistics class at USC and the professor offered extra credit if you turned in a baseball scorecard, so I learned how to score baseball games. (And I got the second highest grade in the class.)

Since then I've always completed a scorecard when I attend a game. It helps me focus on the game and gives my hands and brain something to do.

But what am I supposed to do with the scorecards at the end of the season? I can't just throw them out. So I throw them on the Pile of Junk I collect during the year -- cancelled checks, receipts, old bills, handwritten letters, etc.

Each Spring I pull out what I need to prepare my taxes and what's left over is a Real Pile of Junk. But I still can't bring myself to throw out my old scorecards.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: